This is a series I started where I’m listing out some tips for Visual Studio users. Each tip makes life just a little bit better, I’m hoping the mass of them will add up to a big difference.
Unless otherwise noted all of these will work in the Community edition of Visual Studio.
- Debugger Display - Control what value an object displays in the watch window
- $exception Pseudovariable - View the details of a caught but uncaptured exception
- No Side Effect Function Evaluation - Evaluate a function in the Watch or Immediate window without any side effects
- Source Map Scroll Bar - See and navigate all the code in a file quickly in the scroll bar
- Breakpoints - Advanced breakpoint features
- Solution Explorer Search - Helpful features for searching in the Solution Explorer
- DataTips - You can do more with DataTips than just hover to view values.
- Tracepoints - Like Breakpoints, but they log to output and don’t stop execution.
- Keyboard Shortcuts for Debugging - Save a little time and stay focused on your code rather than hunting for that command.
- Window Management - Setup your perfect tool window layouts, save them and switch between them.
- Test Explorer - Sort, Group and Filter your unit tests so you can quickly run just the tests you need.
- Bulk Editing Shortcuts - Making a lot of repetitive changes? Here’s a few shortcuts to make that easier.